Tuesday 13 June 2023

What Do I See When I Look In The Mirror?

We all want to look better.

The problem is... we're never happy.

The grass is always greener.

To most, I [apparently] look to be in pretty good shape.

But in truth, I feel I've got a LOOONG way to go still.

I resent that I don't look how I want to look after years of consistent effort, hard training, watching what I eat, even making a career out of helping other people achieve great physiques.

When I look in the mirror I see:

  • A bit too much body fat
  • Skinny legs
  • Almost no shoulders
  • Small arms
  • A spongey waistline
  • Bad posture
  • No chest
Probably the same things most people see to some extent.

But working with and around guys who look amazing, how I'd want to look... They're all thinking the same! They don't see a great physique, they see the flaws and imperfections.

Body dysmorphia is real, people!

But it's not all bad.

You can USE that to spur you on, to make continual progress and to motivate you to work harder.

Don't get all depressed that you don't look the way you want (you never will, because there'll always be something you want to change).

Don't throw in the towel and say it's all pointless.

Focus not on how you look right now, or even on how you want to look (though I'm sure you've got a good idea), but on the progress you've made or are making.

I've had so many people over the years who've refused to take their "before" photos and regretted it 6 months down the line.

You'll never reach "perfect", but if you take pictures and compare them every few months, you'll see progress.

As long as you're seeing progress when you compare - you're doing it right!

Either carry on doing what you're doing, or if you want faster progress, tweak things to up the game; just make sure you're being realistic about what's achievable in your set timeframe.

So don't worry about what you see in the mirror not being what you want to see.

Use it to inspire you and make damn sure that when you compare photos in 6 months you've done something about it.

I hate seeing photos of myself - all I see is the negative, but what I'm really seeing is an opportunity to get better.

I'm not saying be happy with how you look no matter what, or to focus on the the negatives, I'm saying look at it from another angle and appreciate the flaws. See them for the opportunities they are.

Also consider the cost of getting into that "ideal" shape.

Time.
Effort.
Sacrificing family time for training.
Going without or limiting foods you enjoy.
Being miserable.

It's HARD work to get in cover model shape, and hard work to stay there.

Are you willing to pay that price?

Or would you be happy with being in "decent" shape, but still having time to enjoy yourself and have the odd treat? Being healthier and more energetic, not drained and tired from training all the time?

I've changed my focus over the years, especially since having kids.

I want to be here for as long as I can, for them.

I want to be able to keep up with them, maybe even beat them at sports even when I'm old.

I started to feel my knees hurting when I knelt on the floor to play with my 5-year old and couldn't stay there for more than a few minutes - then walked like an old man for a minute when I got up.
(That's not the case any more - now I can kneel or sit on the floor for as long as I want, the way we should be able to!)


And I created MoveBetter.Club to teach all of this to anyone who wants to know, even if they don't have the budget for Personal Training.

The point is, your goals will change and you'll always want more - it's natural.

The millionaire doesn't stop - he then wants 10 million... then 100 million... then a billion...

Fitness is the same. Why would you be happy when you know you could look and feel even better?


Don't get too hung up on what you see in the moment, instead focus on what improvements you made over time, be that a month or a year. 

As long as you're making progress, be happy.


And if you're like me, and no longer care who benches more than you but DO care about being able to move and function well now and in future, check out MoveBetter.Club.



Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment