Wednesday 26 May 2010

Tried Yoga yet?

I truly believe in a well-rounded approach to fitness, trying to incorporate as many different forms of training into my routine as possible.

Until recently I'd only "dabbled" in yoga. Taking a class here and there, when I get the chance.

But earlier this year I started to take more of an interest and recorded a couple of those follow-along-at-home yoga programmes on Sky. And I liked!

Now these aren't my favourite programmes to follow, but they piqued my interest and got me looking into the different styles a bit more.

Having always done Martial Arts, and being a big fan of Scott Sonnon's work, I quickly found a couple of styles that I preferred (though I'm still not sure of what their particular names are).

Being an active person, I'm more into the "flowing" yoga, moving swiftly and smoothly from one posture to the next in sequence. Rather than holding a position for 10 minutes until you get bored or fall asleep (whichever comes first!).

And of all of these, there are a couple I've found that I highly recommend.

These are:
Simon Low's Yin Yang Yoga (The Yang sequence)

Trudie Styler's Warrior Yoga

And most notably, Prasara Yoga, from CST coach Ryan Hurst.

This is delivered electronically (download) and has 5 "Flows" - Wind, SeeSaw, Cricket, Ocean and Vine.

I can't recommend this enough, it has instructional videos for every section as well as follow-along sequences, with 3 difficulty levels so you'll be able to follow along whatever your current ability.

You also get a course manual explaining all of the moves and sequences too.

I bought this a couple of weeks ago and love it. If you're looking to get into yoga, then you should start here! (Ok, maybe this one's a bit more challenging than the previous two suggestions, but you've got to challenge yourself hey?!)

Take a look at their website here: Prasara Yoga
and I highly recommend you give it a go!

If you're not as convinced as I am that this will benefit you in numerous ways, just ask for a refund within 60 days! NO RISK at all!

And you can even download the video's to your iPod or iPhone to take to the gym with you!


I've definitely noticed an improvement in my flexibility since doing yoga, and, although some are still very challenging, am getting to grips with the postures and movements and feeling more and more benefit as I do.

It's not just for old people and hippies, Yoga really IS for everyone. If you can keep your joints and spine healthy, the benefits will be priceless! Less aches and pains, more freedom of movement, and you'll feel great after each session.

I really, REALLY recommend giving it a go. And the options I've listed above are, I believe, a great place to start.


Let me know how you get on.


Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment